History of San Lorenzo, California


Historic San Lorenzo Schools


From 1859 to 1923 the San Lorenzo School District had a single school building on Usher Street across from the cemetery. Three buildings occupied this site at different times.


This first San Lorenzo school was built in 1859.
(Photo courtesy of Doris Marciel)



This second San Lorenzo school, built in 1902, was destroyed by arson in 1928.
The original schoolhouse is seen at right, the cemetery at left.

(Photo courtesy of Hayward Area Historical Society)



The district's third school on Usher St. was this brick building, built in
1929 after the predecessor building was destroyed by arson. In 1952
it was declared unsafe for students, and was occupied by the district
staff until 1972.

(Photo courtesy of Doris Marciel)